Monday, June 11, 2007

Reactions to the first Cafritz Property "community workshop"

Am I the only one who can't wait til Thursday to hear what the Cafritz development team tells us they gleaned of the two community workshops they held? And how they see themselves proceeding from here? (I only wish I could be there on time, but a conflict will prevent that)

I would love to hear what other people are thinking, and what they foresee as obstacles... Does this seem like just one more proposal that will likely disappoint or even just peter out in the end? Or is it really something refreshingly different? Other than save some of us a bunch on gas money and driving time, how would it change our community to have something like a Whole Foods store in town? What are the plusses? and minuses? And do we need a reality check before we start planning our errand list around having a local Whole Foods!?!? And what about Councilman Olson's proposal that the residential aspect of the project be an Over-55 community to prevent any negative impact on our area's schools?

There's been little (no?) discussion of or reaction to the Cafritz meetings on TownTalk. Perhaps we're all waiting to hear what the Cafritz team has to say at the third and final meeting on Thursday, June 14. My own reaction continues to be conflicted: While I'm sincerely enthusiastic about the promise, I don't want to let myself get carried away -- so I remain cautious. For one, as we all know, there are a bazillion hoops to go through before the first shovel can be pushed into the ground. Moreover, it's usually healthy to be at least a bit skeptical; after all, doesn't this sound too good to be true? The Cafritz family have brought in -- along with themselves -- *seven* different professional firms or agencies (along with donuts, lunch, and a violinist) - what do they want from me? Surely, it's more than my opinion?!? (And is it more than my support for a zoning variance?)

Of course, this is a classic case of damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't. Had they proceeded headstrong with a proposal, they'd be criticized for not soliciting community input -- and deservedly so. Instead, they've gone to great lengths to approach our elected officials, and then to arrange this series of meetings to find out what our interests and concerns are. For this they should receive credit -- and I believe they are. I certainly applaud them for their approach thus far. Nonetheless, some degree of skepticism (or cynicism) seems unavoidable, if not advisable: I guess I'll just fall back on the famous words of Ronald Reagan: "Trust, but verify." :)


One thing I've started to wonder: Why don't the Cafritz family buy up the Riverdale Park Industrial Park and merge that in with their current holdings?
Or even the USPS parcel (ahem... no pun...)? (anybody know who owns that property?) When you look at the overhead views or maps, the USPS and Industrial Park properties really stand out as vestiges of the old, and obstacles to the new (at least to what appears to be the future direction of the area).

Meanwhile, there are at least three writeups of the Cafritz development and/or the workshop from last Saturday (June 2nd), published on the following blogs, Rethinking College Park, Route 1 Growth, and Life in Riverdale Park:

from Rethinking College Park (By Chris Ellepola):
"The Business and Retail arm of the resource team stated that Whole Foods Mid-Atlantic President Ken Meyer has seen the Cafritz Property and said he would like to put a store there. The company is waiting on plans for the development in order to move forward. Fall is a reasonable time to expect a more definitive position from Whole Foods as to whether or not it will place a grocery store on the Cafritz Property."
http://rethinkcollegepark.net/blog/2007/409/

from Route 1 Growth:
"My overall impressions were positive and I felt that the development team was interested in engaging the public in this discussion. County Council member Eric Olson termed the outreach unique and important. Although no development plans have yet been filed, one must keep in mind that the development group does have a vision for the property. Certainly the selected team members, the stated values and the workstation topics lead me to believe that this project will tend towards high-density development. The very point of having the community input meetings is to modify the original single family zoning."
http://route1growth.wordpress.com/2007/06/04/summary-of-june-2nd-cafritz-community-input-meeting/

from a new local blog, Life in Riverdale Park: http://lifeinriverdalepark.blogspot.com/2007/06/cafritz-property.html

"My wife and I have shopped at the Whole Foods in Silver Spring, and it is a huge store. Their food selection appears superior in terms of quality and health conscious options to a standard Giant, Safeway, Shoppers, etc. However, the prices are high, and I know some residents would be turned off by this. I still think that there would be enough interest though to justify a store. I would really hope that environmental concerns are taken seriously with a development so close to the Anacostia River. I've read a lot about how the vast amount of impervious surface at PG Plaza has really hurt the local tributaries of the Anacostia. A garage would be ideal in order to keep as much green space as possible."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't attend the first meeting, but I went to the second, which was of identical format...although I heard the food was better at the first one!

1) The site is currently zoned for single-family detached housing. While they have stated that they have no official plans and that they want to hear all ideas, its clear that the owners want mixed-use residential and retail and plan to apply to the county for a change in designation.

2) They seem to be very supportive of the idea of building the Trolley Trail. I think they are hearing this from all sides. The suggestion was also floated to add historical markers along the trail that discuss the past use of the site and trolley line, which I think is a great idea.

3) WMATA owns a small strip of land just north of the site that the Trolley Trail also cuts across. To get from the Cafritz property to the finished College Park Trail, you would have to go through this property and alongside a WMATA service building. They are apparently contacting WMATA to see if the parcel can actually be purchased (and possibly used as a tree/park buffer against the houses to the north). I suggested that if they can't purchase it...that they see if they can at least obtain an easement from WMATA to complete and maintain the link to the finished Trail in College Park.

4) I suggested extra-wide sidewalks and outdoor seating near the retail areas, which most of the people representing the retail side seemed to think was a no-brainer. Also, Mrs. Cafritz likes the idea of wide sidewalks and plazas to act as extra performance space for
potential art shows and outdoor performances in the development.

5) I encouraged the developers to advocate intersection improvements (with SHA, the county, or municipalities) to accomodate bike/ped traffic that may be drawn to the retail that would (presumably) be at the site. Specifically, the intersection just north of the site where Queens Chapel intersects with Route 1 and VanBuren and Underwood w/ Rte. 1. I pointed out to them that Queens Chapel (which the other two connect to) is not a thru road for cars (except for emergency vehicles) and that there will be improvements at the other end in Hyattsville making it easier for bikers/peds to use that route to get to/from the Cafritz property. It also makes a nice little 'biker beltway' between Hyattsville, Riverdale Park, College Park, and University Park when you include the Trolley Trail and Artway North. That’s provided the intersections are safe!

Matt M.

The RP Muse said...

I have somewhat mixed reactions to the development proposal. On the one hand, some sucessful commercial development in the area would be great (better shopping options, increased tax revenues, potential increase in real estate values, etc., etc.). On the other hand, when I went to the first workshop I asked myself: OK, what do I want them to build there? My first response was: I don't. I like the trees and the green space and it feels like a lot of development is already in the works for our neck of the woods. If they're going to build, I'm in big favor of the hiker/biker trail, as well as some type of arts/community space, and I can live with Whole Foods, though I'd rather see a Co-op than a chain. If they include a residential portion in their plans, I can't see them sticking to Councilman Olsen's over-55 community idea. Was anybody else struck a little bit oddly by this suggestion of his? I've got zero experience w/ urban/suburban planning, but the notion of so specifically controlling the age demographic seemed weird... maybe it was just the way it was pitched with the focus on keeping families away to decrease enrollment problems for the schools. I read it like this: It's not that we want old folks, it's that we don't want kids. Could be I'm a biased father, but I tend to think families can make good neighbors and neighborhoods. Admittedly, I'm not current on the capacity and enrollment level of our local schools.

My guess would be that it would be tough to keep affordable housing included in the mix without continued pressure on the developer, but I don't know where Cafritz stands on this. I think all this development is going to put a squeeze on affordable housing in general.
-Marc

Dwight Holmes said...

Marc -- I've no first hand knowledge of the schools situation, but that's obviously a major concern of those posting to Route 1 Growth &/or Rethink College Park. Apparently the area elementary schools are packed to the gills as it is, and the new high school that was designated for our area got hijacked to Bowie.

A coop would be great, but seems unworkable in this instance: they need leasers to sign on the dotted line, and said coop doesn't exist!

As for "affordable housing" I think we all have to be a bit cynical on this one: I mean, really, where is there truly affordable housing in the DC area? I did note, however, that one of their Cafritz team is an agency in Montgomery County that says "affordable housing" is what they do.

Anonymous said...

I strongly support the Cafritz family's desire to develop their property into a mix of retail and housing, and local political leaders in Riverdale Park, Hyattsville, University Park and College Park will do well to do likewise. Our communities have too much to gain from this prospect. I have spent more than three decades watching this area change dramatically, from a time when there were excellent shopping opportunities both in College Park and at the old Prince George's Plaza mall to today with everybody complaining about having to drive to Virginia to buy anything decent. The recent influx of retail and dining opportunities is a major improvement, but let's face it, there's a world of difference between Safeway and Whole Foods. In other words, Whole Foods doesn't just represent a continuation of needed development. It represents a major step up in the quality of development. I defy local political leaders not to get on board on with this immediately.